Job Profile of Technical Communicators
Based on empirical data collected from leading manufacturers, software companies and service firms tekom has developed a reference model for the training and examination of technical communicators. The model comprises seven steps that represent the basic competencies of the profession. According to the model Technical Communicators / Technical Writers …
- analyze products, legal requirements, markets, customers, users, etc.
- develop content models, media concepts, standards and software tool support
- plan the content creation and media production process
- develop written, graphical, video or other contents
- generate media output
- release their information products
- receive feedback by the users
Beyond this basic process there is always a management process that e.g. assigns resources to the core process. There are also quite a number of parallel or support processes like terminology, localization, quality assurance etc. that are necessary to maintain the core process.
TCTrainNet and the international tekom certification are built to train TechWriters / Technical Communicators on these different aspects of the art.
You will find further information at: http://www.technical-communication.org/career-education/technical-communicator.html